Highly skilled. Widely experienced. Deeply committed.
Established over a century ago in 1920, Spoor & Fisher is known for creating and implementing robust intellectual property protection strategies.
The firm’s practice area teams specialise in trade marks, patents, copyright, registered designs, anti-counterfeiting, domain names, plant breeders’ rights, utility models, SMME support, consumer and advertising matters, commercial IP, IP audits and due diligence, and all related litigation.
At the same time, Spoor & Fisher has a reputation for pioneering thought leadership and contributions to IP law and academia. Many of its legal professionals have authored authoritative text books, drafted legislation, and acted in some of the most ground-breaking intellectual property cases of the last 100 years.
Clients trust the firm to help them navigate a rapidly changing global IP landscape, while offering a personal experience that feeds off its rich cultural and social diversity.
Spoor & Fisher works hand-in-hand with corporate clients – from global companies to SMMEs – and collaborates closely with legal advisors, agents, and inventors who have an interest in its core geographical regions, Africa and the Caribbean.
Spoor & Fisher harnesses the powerful intellect and wide range of skills of its people: a truly exceptional group of patent and trade mark attorneys, scientists, engineers, technical experts, administrative teams and support staff. Currently, the firm has:
- 40 Partners in South Africa and 6 Directors in Jersey
- 12 female Partners in South Africa and 2 female Directors in Jersey
- 8 Partners of colour
- 300 support staff in South Africa and 84 support staff in Jersey
Vision & mission
Looking to the future, Spoor & Fisher’s vision is to be Africa’s leading intellectual property law firm. Along this journey, its mission is to protect, enforce, and manage clients’ IP using the most innovative, robust, and cutting-edge solutions available.
Awards and accolades
- Best Lawyers: Intellectual Property “Law Firm of the Year” for 2022
- Managing Intellectual Property (MIP): “South African Patent Firm of the Year” in 2021
- Managing Intellectual Property (MIP): “Best Intellectual Property Law Firm in Africa” in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Managing Intellectual Property (MIP): “Best Intellectual Property Law Firm in South Africa” in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019
- Chambers & Partners: Band 1 by Chambers and Partners for Intellectual Property (IP) Legal Services in South Africa (2011-2021)
- Legal 500: Band 1 Ranking in the Ratings of IP firms in South Africa in 2010, 2011, 2013 and from 2015 to 2021
- IAM Patent: Gold Band Rating in IAM Patent 1000’s Rankings since 2011 (2011-2021)
- WTR 1000: Gold Band Rating (2011-2021)
- The Global IP Awards: South Africa Trademark Firm of the Year 2019
- Innovation & IP Forum and Awards (INIFA): Gold Award for the Best IP Advisor Africa & Middle East Category in 2018 and 2019 and the Silver Award for Best IP Advisor: Africa in 2020
- Professional Management Review Africa (PMR): Diamond Arrow Award (Highest Rating) for Intellectual Property since the award’s inception in 2007