Partner, head of IP
Charmayne Ong is a partner and head of IP at Skrine. She is registered as a patent agent, design agent and trademark agent in Malaysia. Ong oversees the patent, design, trademark and copyright registration practice groups, as well as the IT and e-commerce practice group. She focuses on managing trademark registrations and general IP advisory work as part of her role. Ong also provides advice on and drafts contracts in areas including licensing, franchising and technology transfer. She advised one of Malaysia’s first subscription-based music, podcast and video-on-demand operators in respect of its entry into the Malaysian market.
- Acted for a leading foreign IT service provider for an IT outsourcing project that involved the provision of IT products (including hardware and software) and services to the IT subsidiary of an established local bank. The scope of work included the review, drafting and negotiations of the IT outsourcing agreement and other IT-related agreements.
- Acted for an Indonesian bank in reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to a system licence and services agreement with a Labuan incorporated IT service provider. This complex transaction involved the (a) outsourcing of the bank’s data centre, disaster recovery facility and management services; (b) licence and implementation of a new system to process the bank’s daily banking transactions; and (c) provision of maintenance services of the licensed system; in Indonesia.
- Acted for a prominent Islamic insurance operator in Malaysia in reviewing, drafting and advising in relation to an IT infrastructure operations management services agreement with a leading IT service provider. This transaction involved the outsourcing of the management of the insurance operator’s IT systems.
- Acted for a leading international life insurance company in reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to a managed contact centre services agreement which involved outsourcing of call centre management services to a leading IT service provider in Malaysia.
- Acted for a leading global IT service provider for an IT outsourcing project that involved the outsourcing of IT systems for a regional supermarket company. The scope of work included advice, review, drafting and negotiations of the IT outsourcing agreement.
- Acted for a local IT service provider in viewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to a substantial outsourcing project with a local bank. The work undertaken had progressed to a very advanced stage although ultimately the project did not complete due to other reasons.
- Member of CILS Associate Professional
- Member for Congress of the CILS Fellows
- Member of Malaysian Intellectual Property Association
- Member of Licensing Executives Society Malaysia
- Member of INTA
- Member of Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member of The Association Of European Trade Mark Owners (MARQUES)