Find a Leader
Go back to search
Colin Ingram is a partner at Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh and practises in patent prosecution and litigation. He has represented clients in the electrical, life sciences, and clean technology industries. Ingram is a fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, and a member of AIPLA. His notable cases include Amazon v Commissioner of Patents, and AstraZeneca Canada et al v Mylan Pharmaceuticals et al in 2011, where the Federal Court of Canada rejected arguments of inutility and obviousness put forward by Mylan.
- The Dow Chemical Company et al v Nova Chemicals Corporation, 2014 FC 844 — Successfully represented the plaintiffs as co-counsel in a patent infringement action.
- AstraZeneca Canada Inc et al v Mylan Pharmaceuticals ULC et al, 2011 FC 1023, 2012 FCA 109 — Court granted Order of prohibition rejecting generic's arguments of inutility and obviousness.
- Amazon.com, Inc v Canada (Attorney General), 2010 FC 1011, 2011 FCA 328 — Successfully represented Amazon.com in leading case regarding patentable subject matter, including computer implemented inventions and business methods, in Canada.
- Corlac v Weatherford, 2011 FCA 228 - Successfully represented the intervener the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) on this leading case concerning the scope of the "good faith" requirement for patent prosecution in Canada.
Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- "Emerging Trends and Policies in Software and Business Method Patenting Around the World," AIPLA 2014 Spring Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, May 2014
- "Business Method Patents: Coming of Age," organized by LEXPERT Magazine, Toronto, November 2012
- "Navigating the potential minefield of pharmaceutical patents" (co-presenter: J. Sheldon Hamilton), Benchmark Canada Cross-Border Litigation Forum, New York, September 2012
- Presentation of the patents paper, Law Society of Upper Canada's 14th Annual Intellectual Property Law Year in Review, Ottawa, January 2010
- "Patent Law" (with Steven Garland), University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Section, February-April 2011-2015
- "Patent Law" (with Steven Garland), University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Section, 2007
- "Intellectual Property & Technology Law for Engineers" (with Philip Lapin and David Schwartz), University of Ottawa, 2006
- "Patent Law" (with Steven Garland), University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Section, 2006
- "Intellectual Property & Technology Law for Engineers" (with Philip Lapin and David Schwartz), University of Ottawa, 2005