Smart & Biggar / Fetherstonhaugh
55 Metcalfe Street Suite 900
PO Box 2999 Station D
Ottawa ON K1P 5Y6
Telephone: +1 613.232.2486
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is Canada’s largest firm practising exclusively in intellectual property and technology law. We work directly with global and domestic organizations, and seamlessly as one team with associate firms, to help our clients secure, protect and maximize the value of their inventions and intellectual property investments in Canada.
From five offices across Canada, we offer the full complement of intellectual property services including strategic IP counseling, IP litigation, IP transactions support, licensing, and patent and trademark agency services. We serve many of the world’s leading organizations representing the broad spectrum of industries. Our focus on value includes:
• Client Service Delivery Excellence – Smart & Biggar has an international reputation for client service excellence. We leverage sophisticated project management and back office systems to manage our clients’ matters, and constantly seek new ways to streamline and increase the efficiency and value of our service offering.
• Expertise – Smart & Biggar has one of the largest IP teams in Canada and we offer clients experience in the combined scientific, technical and legal fields, along with highly specialized industry knowledge.
• Technical Strength - Virtually every member of our firm has an engineering or scientific educational background, and many possess graduate degrees in a diverse range of areas. Over 55 members of our firm, including most of our lawyers, are registered patent agents.
• History of Partnering – Smart & Biggar carefully nurtures long-term relationships with clients and expert associate firms around the world. These relationships endure because we consistently seek out opportunities to continuously add value and deliver superior client service.
Areas of Specialisation:
- Chemical & Industrial Biotechnology
- IP Crime
- Life Sciences & Pharmaceutical
- Software/Information Technologies
Key Practice Areas:
Patents & Design
The firm draws on their professionals’ unparalleled technical knowledge in evaluating an invention, reviewing its patentability and developing strong and enforceable patent rights throughout the world. They also work closely with their clients to develop customised patent protection strategies that provide a powerful competitive advantage.
From publishing Canada’s first text on trademarks and registering Canada’s first sound-mark, to obtaining precedent-setting damages against counterfeiters, the firm enjoys a deep tradition of leadership in trademark protection, licensing and enforcement and is sought after by the owners of the world’s most valuable brands.
The firm is a dominant force in intellectual property litigation, and is recognized as Canada’s leading IP litigation firm. The firm has efficient and highly effective trial lawyers, and no other Canadian firm can claim a more distinguished and successful record. The firm routinely handles Canada’s most commercially important and technically complex intellectual property cases. Many of their victories on behalf of our clients are leading Canadian precedents, and they have represented clients in the Supreme Court of Canada on more than 50 occasions.
AIPPI, AIPLA and INTA